David Purvis

I am available to assist specialized furniture carriers.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.

Why Are We "Special"?

Posted by David Purvis on Monday, May 21 2012 in Specialized Carriers

Last year we decided to ask our customers what made specialized furniture carriers "special."  We did not want to influence the survey so we asked North Carolina State University for help.  Our friends at the Furniture Center asked the NCSU Psychology department for assistance in ways to ask questions which do not lead the respondent to a predisposed answer.  Those surveyed included retailers and furniture shippers. 

The first thing which caught my eye was that 53% of the respondents did not outsource their transportation; they handled it themselves.  We didn’t ask the question “why” but I think the implication is clear: proper handling and transportation of the product are important.  In a time when outsourcing (non-critical business functions) is the norm, not outsourcing carries the implication of its importance.  This point is emphasized by other results from the survey.

Based on the survey, the value specialized furniture carriers bring to the industry includes furniture handling, support of the industry, and personalized service.  Apparently, when a furniture company chooses to outsource a critical part of their business care, handling, and commitment are important elements in the decision-making process.       

We will get into more details of the survey at another time.  For now, we know 89% of those shipping furniture choose to do it themselves or use a specialized furniture carrier.  The other 11% choose general commodity carriers.  With all the changes in the industry, some simply don’t know about specialized furniture carriers.  My guess is they do know about high rates of damage and are looking for a solution.    

 

Tags: Array
Executive Director
VP, Operations and Manufacturing
BS - Georgia Institute of Technology
MA - Liberty University